Thursday, September 7, 2017

21 hours in NYC

This summer (following our Denver adventure), Dad and I drove down to NYC just for a day. Sounds crazy, right? It may have been-but it was also 100% worth it, because we were going to see HAMILTON! When we selected our tickets last winter, it felt like the day would never come-but it finally did!
On Tuesday after work (I had a training so I even got out a little early), I drove down to Providence to meet Dad, and we immediately hit the road. We got insanely lucky with traffic and made it to the default bar by my friend Kate's place (where I was staying) by 8:00, so Dad dropped me off and went to his hotel in Queens.
When Kate finished up her yoga class, we headed over to a new wine bar that had recently opened around the corner, Pop & Pour Cafe. It is a tiny space but adorable-and has delicious food and drink! I had also started to forget the joys of happy hour but was soon reminded. Come on, Boston-please hop on that train!
Despite having no plans until brunch before the matinee, I woke up early (of course), but took full advantage of that to enjoy the perfect summer day. I hopped on the train-oh how I love NYC public transportation-and went straight down to Central Park. After walking from the bottom up to around 72nd St, I stopped by Le Pain Quotidien for a croissant, fruit, and cappuccino to tide me over until brunch. Unfortunately the scaffolding outside kept a lot of light out, but it probably is my favorite chain so it was definitely worth it.
I also swung by Alice's Tea Cup for some looseleaf tea to take back with me-the Kashmiri green chai is such a treat with almond milk and honey.
Dad and Kate then met me by the Bethesda Fountain for a little stroll. Dad had never been to Central Park just to spend time there, so we went through the ramble on our way back up town. It's pretty amazing that you really can forget that you're in a city while in Central Park-and even get lost!
We brunched with Kate, her friend, and his sister at a great place right by her apartment (also, weekday brunch? The greatest!) before heading back down to Times Square.
Waiting in the line to get into the theatre was crazy-we all had tickets already, yet were in a crazy long line to get in. Everyone was so excited and there were clearly a range of people in terms of all demographics.
What to say about the show itself? It was amazing. I had such high expectations for it given all the hype and how many times I had listened to the soundtrack, ha-and it lived up to them. I was a little concerned because it of course wasn't the original cast and a couple of the leads are played by their swing performer for the matinees. However, I didn't need to worry-everyone was fantastic!
Dad was not nearly as familiar with the show as I was, but I think loved it just as much. He was astounded at some of it (especially loving the timely line "immigrants-we get the job done") and has since purchased the biography-it's sitting on his coffee table!
After the show, we simply drove back to Providence and then I continued on to Boston since I had to work the next day. We didn't get quite as lucky with traffic on the return trip, though it was still 100% worth it.
Dad-thank you so, so, so much for taking me to see Hamilton! It was well worth waiting almost 10 years :)

xoxoxo
Emma

1 comment:

  1. I think I did love it just as much. Maybe more. Maybe less. But for sure in a different way as I did not appreciate its importance as an artistic contribution, and for sure as a political contribution to the meaning of our nation. Thank you Emma for extending this part of who I am. I would wish that more of our nation could find the inspiration you offer here, and what Miranda invites us to imagine.

    ReplyDelete