Monday, August 28, 2017

A not-so-brief interruption (rant)

We interrupt our regularly scheduled posts about food and travel and fun to have a little rant about this so-called "snowflake generation".

While watching Morning Joe with my dad (a rarity-I almost never watch the news, preferring to read it from a variety of sources), they started to go off on "coddled" and "fragile" liberals, using the violence that broke out at the Berkeley protest as a starting point. There were several points at which I simply couldn't be quiet so figured I would write it out.

They started with discussing the violence at the Berkeley protest-which of course I condemn. Chasing after people to hurt them is unacceptable on all counts and here simply serves as ammunition for the right. However, this quickly devolved into claims that young liberal people think of themselves as "special snowflakes" and don't think they should have to suffer consequences for their actions. The hosts made it a point to repeatedly say that "you hit someone in the head, you go to jail"-completely ignoring their own earlier report that there were 14 arrests. So yes, you hit someone in the head and you go to jail-this time. This seemed to simply be a case of the hosts trying to find another way to talk down to millennials.

Unfortunately they did not end here, but continued to rant and rave about the "snowflakes on the left". I don't know if it's what they intended, but it certainly seems as if Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough hate an entire generation. I cannot say how much this infuriates me for a variety of reasons...unfortunately this is a constant problem and today's statements were simply representative of so many things I have heard and seen.

1. The tone of voice used was extremely patronizing. Saying things like "everybody who disagrees with you is wrong...", "everybody looooves you...", etc. in possibly the most sarcastic tone I have ever heard was simply so disrespectful. Yes, people who seem to actually believe those things are infuriating-however, I have not seen this to be a millennial issue, but an asshole issue.

2. My generation does often have higher expectations for feedback on the work that we do, recognition, etc. My question to those who are upset about this is: where do you think this came from? We didn't raise ourselves-for the most part. Participation trophies weren't our idea. And before you think I'm criticizing my parents' generation: where do you think this came from? They were (and are) simply doing their best to provide not only physical but emotional care for their children. They came of age in a generation where the importance of emotional support was not yet explicitly recognized and wanted to ensure their children did not feel the same way they did. (I read a piece on this online at some point and would love to link to it, but can't remember where I found it-if anyone knows, please tell me and I will add it!) Also-what's so wrong with wanting recognition for good work?

3. There's been a lot of discourse around "safe spaces" and the idea that young people (particularly college students) want to avoid any uncomfortable conversation. Joe in particular claimed that young people only see things that confirm their viewpoints, while he read things that he disagreed with because he already knew what his people were saying. (I wanted to ask him if he'd like a gold star for that.) Again, yes this can be a problem, but it is not a generational one but a close-minded one. I was recently at a training where we discussed the difference between safe and brave spaces-and I am 100% on board with shifting the language and concepts. In brave spaces you are challenged and supported in equal measure-and the frequently used terms of "agree to disagree" and "assume good intentions" are not accepted without analysis. I'll touch on trigger warnings here too-they are not intended to tell people not to listen, read, etc. a piece, but to give them a heads up that it contains content that could be (ugh) triggering. To give them the chance to mentally prepare themselves, to know that they may end up upset. And yes, I know "in the real world" there are no trigger warnings, but guess what happens when people have a chance to address them in healthier ways? They can then encounter these situations in the real world and react in safer ways! It helps them to develop tools and strategies to manage them at all times.

4. What is the problem with demanding accountability? People of all generations say they want more of it, that the problem with politics, etc. is that those in power can get away with so much, but when millennials (and others) push back on sexist policies, homophobic bosses, the insane disparity between the increase in college tuition vs. minimum wage, etc. they say that we are whining. Yes, we push back. Yes, we expect to not be miserable in our work. Yes, we demand to be treated as equals in humanity.

I may end up adding to this as I think more about it-I clearly have a lot of feelings. As I thought about why Mika and Joe seem to hold so much hatred for millennials I wondered, "is it because we don't watch their show? We demand more of people? We refuse to suffer unnecessarily?" and came to the conclusion that in their quest to be the voice of the center they needed a common enemy. This generation makes a perfect one-elders all across the political spectrum love to criticize everything millennials do (or don't do, like eat at crappy restaurants like Applebee's). What better way to get buy-in from the people already watching your show (helloooo, bubble?) than to mock a generation that doesn't watch it and therefore won't even know we have to defend ourselves?

2 comments:

  1. This is so smart. Thank you Emma. And no, Joe, I'm not giving her a gold star for it. But I might give you one if you could write an essay on all you learned from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Well said, Emma. I'm disheartened by the way anyone (usually a millennial) is discredited because they are a "snowflake" looking for a "safe place." I've seen more millennials on the front lines of protest than I can imagine. Keep it up, your generation might just be the change that this world needs!

    ReplyDelete