Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Giving Tuesday

While I didn't quite feel qualified to post about all the sales for Black Friday and Cyber Monday (though I did my fair share of shopping!) I definitely do feel up to talking about Giving Tuesday!
I've donated to a few so far today, and probably will continue, especially as I see causes posted to Facebook by my friends.
The two I'm really working for are Camp Casey and the American Cancer Society (specifically, Relay for Life).
Camp Casey is an amazing organization based in the Detroit area I was lucky enough to volunteer with before I moved away last summer. They do a variety of things to serve youth with cancer and blood disorders, but what I mostly did was Horsey House Calls. They are a blast-basically, you show up to the door of a child (and their family/friends) going through something terrible WITH A HORSE. They get to ride, learn about horses, do crafts and play games, and of course have a pizza party. It is a beautiful experience for everyone involved and these have been some of the most meaningful times of my life.

The American Cancer Society does amazing work to contribute to cancer research, awareness, and support. I began doing Relay for Life, a (usually) 24-hour relay walkathon, when I was a young teen after my friend Meagan was diagnosed with an inoperable malignant brain tumor. I have continued to do it nearly every year in her honor, adding more friends and family along the way as they are diagnosed and fight their own battles. Last year, I did it with my friend Danny after his cancer diagnosis. He passed away just under two weeks ago and I will be continuing to do it in his honor-as well as having donated today in his name (Daniel Polovich).

Please consider where you will donate-I know the shopping weekend took a lot out of my budget too, but every dollar here makes a difference!

xoxoxo
Emma

1 comment: