Tuesday, January 9, 2018

A celebration of life

I've been really struggling with this post, but feel that I need to write it.
My friend Daniel Polovich passed away on November 15, 2017 after battling cancer for almost 2 years.

I knew Danny for almost my entire life. We became friends in kindergarten (and quickly escalated that into our kindergarten marriage), and while we didn't always stay close when I moved after that year, we quickly remedied that in our high school German classes. In between all the goofing off, we still managed to actually learn some of the language. I also remember many walks through the University of Michigan Diag, trying to figure out our lives.

We went to very different colleges pretty darn far apart, but still caught up at holidays. Yes, lots of parties at our friend Brian's fraternity house, but also more walks on the Diag, visits at the camp where I worked, and always yummy food.

Danny was diagnosed before I moved out to the East Coast (and we were finally living close together again) so our time together changed a bit. We spent a lot of time just chilling in various locations, coloring, watching Netflix, talking, etc. Of course we still made time for ice cream though! We also did Relay for Life the summer of 2016 and it was very powerful experience. I've been doing it for a long time and was so glad it meant so much to Danny.

After I moved, of course I didn't get to see him as often. And I am notoriously bad at keeping in touch with people until I'm planning a visit. We talked sporadically and I did get to see him one more time in August.

I am so grateful for all who supported him and those who cared for him throughout this time. As his sister said, these last two years are not all he was. He lived for 28 years and had so much more to him than this diagnosis. He loved his people, was passionate about his work and hobbies, and was (rightly) so proud to get a patent this fall.

This weekend I returned to Michigan for his celebration of life, organized by some of his closest friends-who were essentially family. While it was challenging at times, I am so glad I was able to be there.

Sadly, Danny is not the first loved one I have lost to cancer, and I'm sure he won't be the last. I began doing Relay for Life when my friend Meagan was diagnosed when we were just young teens and have done it nearly every year since, often adding another person to the list for whom I am doing it in their honor or memory. I have donated to the American Cancer Society in Danny's name-they are an amazing organization, helping to fund research, supporting those with cancer and their loved ones, and raising awareness of what individuals can do to make a difference in their own and others' lives. Will you join me?

xoxoxo
Emma

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this, Emma. Danny was fortunate to have you as his friend, and we are all fortunate to have this memory of him.

    ReplyDelete